Champion Power Equipment has built its reputation on the back of its products, and the 42436 model is no exception. This little 1500 watt generator has got its fair highlights and can be an interesting solution for those who only need to power single smaller devices. To learn more about the features that make it special (and to get a pro / con breakdown of this machine in the bargain), please keep reading the following review
Features of the Champion Power Equipment 42436 1500-Watt Portable Generator
- The Champion 42436 runs on a CARB-compliant 80cc engine that’s not just quiet, but environmentally sound, too.
- It runs for 10 hours at 50 percent of maximum output; alternate load profiles will increase or decrease runtime accordingly.
- This generator is rated at running 1200 watts, and 1500 starting watts.
- Along with a voltmeter for accurate power readings, one (1) 120-volt outlet is is built into the body of the Champion 42436 for use with extension cords and such.
What I like
- The 42436 is an efficient little machine. Lightweight, comparatively quiet, and environmentally friendly.
- Speaking of size, this Champion generator is roughly a foot and a half on each side – the actual dimensions follow: 17.7 x 14 x 14.8 inches LWH. In short, you can fit your new power source just about anywhere.
- This generator is marketed as a lightweight option. While this may be so, the designers were still thoughtful enough to ensure that the frame of the unit doubles as a set of carrying handles, which is really a nice, customer-centric touch.
- Champion Power Equipment designs their product line in the U.S. and bases their customer support team in the U.S. and Canada. As such, their reputation for help when trouble strikes is quite good.
What I don’t like
- Lifetime tech support is great, but a two-year warranty on the part of Champion seems kind of lackluster. It’s their prerogative, of course, to offer whatever protection plan they wish for their products, but you should consider whether that’s enough for you when buying a generator like this one.
- If you need this in a hurry, you might be disappointed – government regulations make this a ground shipping only affair, and even then you can only get it if you live in the so-called “Lower 48”. Alaskans or Hawaiians may wish to look elsewhere in case of urgency.
The Champion 42436 portable generator isn’t without its hiccups, but all in all, it’s a great little machine for the hobbyist or someone with light energy output needs. For those with more robust requirements, a second generator should give them all the power they need, even during storms and other serious scenarios.
If portability and low price is your priority, Champion 42436 will not disappoint. While it certainly won’t generate enough power to supply multiple devices, it will be sufficient enough for small scale use, working with one device at a time.