Champion Power Equipment 42436 1500-Watt Portable Generator – Our Review
There’s an old saying that goes something like this: “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”. Put another way, if your default power source fails, you’re gonna be extra glad you bought a portable generator before you actually needed one! Specifically, the 1500 watt offering from Champion, Inc. makes for a great purchase. Use it for your home during an emergency, in the garage or tool shed for hobbies or work projects, or in your RV for those long distance trips with friends and loved ones – the utility you can squeeze out of this thing is almost endless! Champion Power Equipment has built its reputation on the back of its products, and this portable generator is no exception. To learn more about the features that make it special (and to get a pro / con breakdown of this machine in the bargain), just keep reading!
Features of the Champion Power Equipment 42436 1500-Watt Portable Generator
- The Champion 42436 runs on a CARB-compliant 80cc engine that’s not just quiet, but environmentally sound, too.
- This generator will run for 10 hours at 50 percent of maximum output; alternate load profiles will increase or decrease runtime accordingly.
- This Champion generator is rated at 1200 watts, but it is capable of operating at 1500 watts.
- Along with a voltmeter for accurate power readings, one (1) 120-volt outlet is is built into the body of the Champion 42436 for use with extension cords and such.
What we like
- The 42436 is an efficient little machine. Lightweight, quiet, and environmentally friendly, you’ll hardly even notice it’s there.
- Speaking of size, this Champion generator is roughly a foot and a half on each side – the actual dimensions follow: 17.7 x 14 x 14.8 inches LWH. In short, you can fit your new power source just about anywhere.
- This generator is marketed as a lightweight option. While this may be so, the designers were still thoughtful enough to ensure that the frame of the unit doubles as a set of carrying handles, which is really a nice, customer-centric touch.
- Champion Power Equipment designs their product line in the U.S. and bases their customer support team in the U.S. and Canada. As such, their reputation for help when trouble strikes is glowing. Not only do you receive free tech support for life with each purchase of a Champion generator just like this one, but since you shopped smart, you’ll actually be able to avail yourself of help should you ever need it.
What we don’t like
- While you can certainly run, charge, or otherwise operate your refrigerator, your television, your PC, your power tools, or other tools and electronics via this Champion Power Equipment 42436, it was a big surprise to find out that you’ll have to pull a Santa Claus beforehand. What we mean is, you can’t run or charge everything at the same time (contrary to marketing copy put out by Champion), so you’ll have to make a priority list of what gets powered / charged first, or else buy multiple generators. If you’re just puttering around your home, RV, garage, or so forth, this isn’t a big deal, but if you’re in the midst of Florida’s hurricane season and you need unspoiled food (and thus, refrigeration), it could be quite the drastic situation.
- Lifetime tech support is great, but a two-year warranty on the part of Champion seems kind of lackluster. It’s their prerogative, of course, to offer whatever protection plan they wish for their products, but you should consider whether that’s enough for you when buying a generator like this one.
- If you need this in a hurry, you might be disappointed – government regulations make this a ground shipping only affair, and even then you can only get it if you live in the so-called “Lower 48”. Alaskans, Hawaiians, and those with an impatient streak, you may wish to look elsewhere for your portable generator needs.
The Champion 42436 portable generator isn’t without its hiccups, but all in all, it’s a great little machine for the hobbyist or someone with light energy output needs. For those with more robust requirements, a second generator should give them all the power they need, even during storms and other serious scenarios. In other words, we recommend it highly, and we think you’ll enjoy it should you decide to purchase one. Thanks for reading this review and happy shopping!
If portability and low price is your priority, Champion 42436 will not disappoint. While it certainly won’t generate enough power to supply multiple devices, it will be sufficient enough for small scale use, working with one device at a time.