Champion 46539 4,000 Watt Portable Generator – Our Review
The Champion Power Equipment 46539 ranks among the best portable generators available for those who need a unit that is both powerful and reliable. While we cannot say it is the absolute best portable generator on the market, having already reserved that honor to the Westinghouse WH7500E, it is certainly a model with a lot in its favor.
This is a great choice for use at construction sites, campgrounds, and with RVs. It is also consistently reliable enough to function as a back-up power supply for home and business owners. Many buyers have even used it in the context of Hurricane Sandy, and they were not disappointed by its effectiveness.
You can run all manner of appliances from the Champion’s three outlets: lights, televisions, air conditioners, sump pumps, power tools, and more. This generator is reasonably fuel efficient, delivers up to 4,000 Watts of power, and is very convenient to start up. The frame, handle, and wheels also make it fairly easy to move and maneuver for such a large generator.
Features of the Champion Power Equipment 46539 Portable Generator
- The peak power output is rated at 4,000 Watts, while the steady and reliable output gets a rating of 3,500 Watts. The engine is a Champion 196cc OHV that is encased in a cast iron sleeve.
- The dimensions, in length by width by height and in inches, are 29 by 21 by 21. The total weight is 140 pounds. This is inclusive of the metal framing and two eight-inch wheels used to make the generator portable.
- This generator is compliant with EPA carburetor standards as well as all environmental rules that apply in the state of California.
- The generator comes with a wireless, start-up remote that works from a distance of up to 80 feet. The remote runs on a battery, which is included.
- There are three distinct types of outlet on this generator: a 120-volt duplex outlet, a 120-volt twist-lock, and an RV receptacle.
- The unit comes with overload protection, a low-oil sensor, and an Intelli-gauge apparatus that gives you at-a-glance information on voltage, hertz, and operating hours.
- The gas tank holds 3.8 gallons and is capable of running for 12 hours at 50 percent load. This comes out to about one-third of a gallon of gas used per hour.
What we like
- The ability to start up the engine from a distance using a remote is a major convenience. The signal for the remote need not be line-of-sight to function, and the remote’s battery is long-lasting.
- A back-up plan for getting the engine going, in the form of a pull-start lever, is a smart addition. If the electric start-up battery were to go dead, you could still use the machine.
- There is no need to unplug your appliances before re-starting the generator because of a 20-second power delay. The power also cuts off a few seconds before the engine stops, which give added protection.
- Although no portable generator should be run in the pouring rain, the high water-resistance levels of the Champion 46539 will stand up to light mist as good as any other model on the market.
- The noise level is as low as can be expected with a powerful portable generator. The engine runs smooth and quiet.
- The CARB compliance is one of the most crucial features of the generator. It allows it to be used across all 50 states, including even “CARB-conscious” California, without any risk of being fined by the EPA.
What we don’t like
- There is no 240-volt outlet, which may be an issue to some users
- A substantial investment is required for purchase, around $500. Although a very high-quality product, the price tag certainly does give one pause.
To sum up, the Champion is “runner up” to the Westinghouse when all the features are taken into account. However, the Westinghouse is not CARB-compliant while the Champion is. Therefore, when CARB-compliance becomes a major issue (especially for the residents of California), the Champion is, in effect, the best portable generator available on the market.
A final factor to consider that enhances the appeal of the Champion is the two-year limited warranty and lifetime, free tech support that it comes with. Ease of assembly, an online manual, and inclusion of engine oil and remote battery with initial purchase also tip the balance in the Champion 46539’s direction.
If you are looking for the best portable generator which is also CARB compliant, Champion 46539 is the ideal choice. It's a highly reliable product, very easy to set up and maintain, suitable for a variety of purposes. It can be easily classified as one of the generators which can truly compete for the title of the best portable generator in the 2500 - 4000 watt range.