Last Update: 14th May 2018 Are you currently looking for the best portable generator? Are you eager to find a generator matching your needs but struggling to choose one? We can perfectly understand your situation. With so many manufacturers and models available on the market along with their different wattages, noise levels and design types applicable for various situations, there is no easy choice to make. While there are plenty of portable generator reviews online, very few of them actually answer the most important questions:
Which type of the generator is the most suitable for your needs? Do you need a portable generator for RV? Or perhaps a whole house generator? What specifications should you look at? What is considered to be the really quiet generator? Is a solar generator a viable alternative to traditional generators? How much money should you aim to spend if you really want to get the most solid model available?
In the following portable generator reviews we will answer these and other questions, presenting you some of the highest quality generators currently being on sale in the United States. After countless hours of research and comparative analysis we have finally selected 10 models which according to our knowledge and experience can truly compete for the title of the best portable generator, no matter in which situation you are planning to use them. Please have a look at the comparison table below for the brief comparison of their features and specifications.
10 Top Rated Portable Generators Reviewed
|Westinghouse WGen7500||6500||211||Check the Current Price||9/10||Click to Read|
|Champion 46539||4000||140||Check the Current Price||8.7/10||Click to Read|
|Duromax XP4000S||4000||90||Check the Current Price||8.7/10||Click to Read|
|Duromax XP4400E||4400||116||Check the Current Price||8.5/10||Click to Read|
|Generac 6866 iQ2000||1600||51.1||Check the Current Price||8.4/10||Click to Read|
|Duromax XP10000E||10000||249||Check the Current Price||8.3/10||Click to Read|
|Champion 41135||6800||182||Check the Current Price||8.3||Click to Read|
|Durostar DS4000S||4000||92.4||Check the Current Price||8.2/10||Click to Read|
|DUROMAX XP4850EH Dual Fuel (Propane/Gas)||3850||131.7||Check the Current Price||8/10||Click to Read|
|Generac 5982 Gas Powered||3250||118||Check the Current Price||7.9/10||Click to Read|
Best Portable Generator Reviews
1. The Winner – Westinghouse WGen7500
The Westinghouse WGen7500
is a wonderful generator that caters for a variety of purposes including construction sites, RV and emergency power source for households. It fulfills all the criteria required to make it one of the most heavily recommended generators currently available on the market
Westinghouse is one of the oldest and the most beloved manufacturers or electronic products in the world. There are numerous portable generator reviews left by Amazon and Walmart customers which prove that this is indeed one of the most popular and the top quality portable generators currently available on the market. By choosing to purchase this generator you can rest assured that you are getting a reliable piece of equipment that will keep the power running in any setting. Your decision to buy this generator will help you power your RV, home or cabin using just one unit.
Features of the Westinghouse WGen7500 Portable Generator
- The WGen7500 features a 420cc engine that produces power with four strokes per revolution. This engine uses four strokes to improve efficiency and its overhead design keeps the working parts of the engine underneath the cover. There is no chance of someone reaching into the engine and being injured.
- The full enclosure under the cover prevents the electrical connections and components from being damaged in a storm. Even during the heavy rain, the risk of rainwater damaging the engine is practically nonexistent. Complete coverage for the engine makes it easy to take care of, and you may wipe off the cover easily after a rain storm or spill.
- The generator comes with four outlets you may twist and four more outlets that do not twist. You can plug anything into it at any time, and you may power a whole home using just this generator alone.
What we like
- Fuel efficient – WGen7500 is a relatively small generator that provides a good bit of power using a small amount of fuel. Even if extensively used, the fuel consumption is relatively low, allowing the generator to run for a long time
- Quick start – you can start the generator either with the electric starter or the manual starter handle. This means that there is no situation in which you cannot start the generator.
- Quiet – this generator has a special Pulse-Flo muffler that keeps the noise level minimum while using the generator. All in all, if you use it at home where you do not want to be worn out by loud noises or run the generator at a campsite, you certainly don’t want to disturb your neighbors or anyone who is camping nearby. The quiet running of this generator makes it perfect for urban, suburban and rural settings.
- Easy to set up and maintain – getting started with the WGen7500 is simple with the starter kit that you receive with the package. The starter kit comes with the handles, oil and a funnel. You must keep the generator oiled properly, but you have everything you need to get the generator going right out of the box.
- Simple to use – The LCD display on the generator shows you how long it has been running. You can easily adjust the settings at any time. The controls on the generator are color-coded for easy use, and you can teach anyone on the site how to use it. The WGen7500 is indeed very simple to use, and it provides you with more than enough power to get your home or site up and running.
What we don’t like
- The WGen7500 is an easy product to use, but it does not fit all RVs or small homes. You may discover that the generator is a bit too big for your RV, and conversely it may not provide enough power for a larger home.
- The generator is made from nothing but steel, and it is a bit heavy to haul. The wheels make hauling easier, but the unit is not light enough for anyone to drag.
The Westinghouse WGen7500 is a great generator for most applications, perfectly fitted for a variety of uses. Although there might be some large houses and small RVs that will not fully cooperate well with this generator, the generator will work just fine in the vast majority of settings. The engine is powerful enough to give you what you need, and it uses a small amount of fuel when you run it. You may use the generator in any setting you like, without having to worry about its maintenance and noise level. In fact, given its high wattage, it produces surprisingly so little noise that neither you nor your neighbors will be bothered by its sound. To sum it up – WGen7500 is a highly recommended choice for anyone looking for a reliable portable generator.
Simply the best portable generator availableWestinghouse WGen7500 has everything it takes to be the leader on the market of portable generators. Long running time, sturdy design, relatively quiet engine and last but not least – convenient electric start – these are all the features which truly make it stand out as the number one on the market. You won’t be disappointed.
2. Good Portable Generator for RV – Champion Power Equipment 46539 4,000 Watt
The Champion Power Equipment 46539 ranks among the top portable generators available for those who need a unit that is both powerful and reliable. While we cannot say it is the absolute number one on the market, having already reserved that honor to the Westinghouse WGen7500, it is certainly a model with a lot in its favor.
This is a great choice for use at construction sites, campgrounds, and with RVs. It is also consistently reliable enough to function as a back-up power supply for home and business owners. Many buyers have even used it in the context of Hurricane Sandy, and they were not disappointed by its effectiveness.
You can run all manner of appliances from the Champion’s three outlets: lights, televisions, air conditioners, sump pumps, power tools, and more. This generator is reasonably fuel efficient, delivers up to 4,000 Watts of power, and is very convenient to start up. The frame, handle, and wheels also make it fairly easy to move and maneuver for such a large generator.
Features of the Champion Power Equipment 46539 Portable Generator
- The peak power output is rated at 4,000 Watts, while the steady and reliable output gets a rating of 3,500 Watts. The engine is a Champion 196cc OHV that is encased in a cast iron sleeve.
- The dimensions, in length by width by height and in inches, are 29 by 21 by 21. The total weight is 140 pounds. This is inclusive of the metal framing and two eight-inch wheels used to make the generator portable.
- This generator is compliant with EPA carburetor standards as well as all environmental rules that apply in the state of California.
- The generator comes with a wireless, start-up remote that works from a distance of up to 80 feet. The remote runs on a battery, which is included.
- There are three distinct types of outlet on this generator: a 120-volt duplex outlet, a 120-volt twist-lock, and an RV receptacle.
- The unit comes with overload protection, a low-oil sensor, and an Intelli-gauge apparatus that gives you at-a-glance information on voltage, hertz, and operating hours.
- The gas tank holds 3.8 gallons and is capable of running for 12 hours at 50 percent load. This comes out to about one-third of a gallon of gas used per hour.
What we like
- The ability to start up the engine from a distance using a remote is a major convenience. The signal for the remote need not be line-of-sight to function, and the remote’s battery is long-lasting.
- A back-up plan for getting the engine going, in the form of a pull-start lever, is a smart addition. If the electric start-up battery were to go dead, you could still use the machine.
- There is no need to unplug your appliances before re-starting the generator because of a 20-second power delay. The power also cuts off a few seconds before the engine stops, which give added protection.
- Although no portable generator should be run in the pouring rain, the high water-resistance levels of the Champion 46539 will stand up to light mist as good as any other model on the market.
- The noise level is as low as can be expected with a powerful portable generator. The engine runs smooth and quiet.
- The CARB compliance is one of the most crucial features of the generator. It allows it to be used across all 50 states, including even “CARB-conscious” California, without any risk of being fined by the EPA.
What we don’t like
- There is no 240-volt outlet, which may be an issue to some users
- A substantial investment is required for purchase, around $500. Although a very high-quality product, the price tag certainly does give one pause.
To sum up, the Champion is “runner up” to the Westinghouse when all the features are taken into account. However, the Westinghouse is not CARB-compliant while the Champion is. Therefore, when CARB-compliance becomes a major issue (especially for the residents of California), the Champion is, in effect, the best portable generator available on the market.
A final factor to consider that enhances the appeal of the Champion generators is the two-year limited warranty and lifetime, free tech support that it comes with. Ease of assembly, an online manual, and inclusion of engine oil and remote battery with initial purchase also tip the balance in the Champion 46539’s direction.
The best CARB compliant generatorIf you are looking for the high quality generator which is also CARB compliant, Champion 46539 is the ideal choice. It’s a highly reliable product, very easy to set up and maintain, suitable for a variety of purposes. It can be easily classified as one of the generators which can truly compete for the title of the best model in the 2500 – 4000 watt range.
3. High Quality Generator with Air Cooled Engine – Duromax XP4000S 4,000 Watt
DuroMax XP4000S 7.4 HP Air Cooled OHV Gasoline Powered Portable RV Generator is one of the most solid generators available. Those who value durable products will definitely consider this. Once you acquire it, you will not have to worry about buying another one any soon. It is structurally designed with features which make it long lasting. Its engine is always kept at optimum functioning through cooling by air.
This generator is definitely your perfect match if you like a powerful generator that can generate enough power to run your appliances while at the same using comparatively less fuel.
Features of the Duromax XP4000S Portable Generator
- Air-cooled engine – this generator features a durable Durostar 7.0 HP air cooled OHV engine with excellent w/low oil shut off. This enhances the life span of the engine because anytime it gets hot, it cools itself using air. It is designed to easily maintain itself so that the engine continues running in the right condition. In addition, it has an oil shut off which helps to close the oil tank to prevent your generator oil from spilling. The oil also helps to reduce friction to prevent tear and wear hence enhancing durability of your generator.
- Heavy duty steel frame– Duromax XP4000S has a heavy duty steel frame with four point fully isolated motor mounts for smooth and powerful operation. The steel frame does not only give the device extra strong support but also helps you to lift and carry it from one location to another. Because its motors are separated, it allows you to have smooth operations thus making it the best generator for you.
- Full power panel – Duromax XP 4000S comes with full power panel which has oil warning light, volt meter, circuit breaker and powerful outlet. All these outstanding features make it very convenient to use and also enhance its functionality. For instance, oil warning light will indicate to you when you need to add oil, the outlet will enable you to connect power to your appliances and many more.
- Power plug – it has a power plug configuration of two 120V, 20Amp, 60Hz NEMA, 5-20R outlets, one 120 Volt, 30Amp and 60Hz NEMA L5 30 outlet just for your use.
- 8 hr run time – it has an 8 hour run time which makes it run your appliances for a long duration without unnecessary power disruptions.
What we like
- Quick and easy start up – what we liked about this generator is that it does not require any knowledge or experience in order to start up the engine. All you need to do is to simply press the ON button and pull the pull-start lever. You will be done. It will begin to run instantaneously.
- Durable engine – if you like a generator with an engine which can cool itself using air, then this is the right product for you. It is the main secret behind this generator’s unrivalled longevity.
- Strong support – we know very well that steel is a strong metal. The fact that the generator is supported by steel makes it strong and less subject to physical damage. The steel frames also make it easy to carry.
- Less noisy – one thing that really makes us like this generator is because of the less noise produced. This makes it a better option especially if you live with many people in the neighborhood who do not fancy noise.
- Easy to maintain – Yyu will really like this generator especially when it comes to maintenance . For instance the oil warning light will let you know when it is the right time to add oil. This will ensure that the engine is maintained at optimum functioning.
- Safe – we really liked the generator’s safety because it has a circuit breaker which breaks the circuit when power is in excess to prevent your appliances from overheating.
What we don’t like
- Lack of wheels – unlike many other generators, Duromax XP4000S does not come with wheels for easy movement by pushing on the ground surface. However, you can buy the wheel kit separately for less than 40$.
In conclusion, when it comes to both durability and functionality, Duromax XP 4000S does its jobs very well. It is efficient in operations and can run several appliances without disruptions. This is further enhanced by its powerful power outlet. It is also very safe to use because it has the exceptional ability to break the circuit in the event that the power produced is in excess. This prevents your equipment from overheating. If you value safety of your costly appliances, you should give Duramax XP 4000S a chance.
4. Great Value for Money – DuroMax XP4400E 4,400 Watt 7.0 HP OHV
Your home and your family deserve to have the peace-of-mind that comes with owning a generator. In this turbulent economic times, however, you also need something that is affordable. While the Duromax XP4400E might not be the best model on the market, it does represent an excellent value. We made sure to put the generator through an extensive battery of tests to ensure it works as advertised.
We thoroughly researched this device and found that some excess oil had spilling into the package in which the generator arrives is a normal occurrence. This mess is due to leftover oil used for testing and seems to be a common complaint. Regardless, after cleaning the generator and disposing of the oil the device runs very well and is able to power the plethora of test devices. It runs well up to 3000 Watts, however it might start to choke a bit in the 3000 – 3500 range.
Features of the Duromax XP4400E Portable Generator
- 4400 Watt Surge / 3500 Watts Continuous – For the uninitiated – “surge” refers to when you first start an electronic device. Some devices require up to three times their running power when first started. Your refrigerator, for example, will surge at 2200 Watts and run at 700 (approximately, actual numbers vary by model and manufacturer)
- 4 Gallon Tank – At a 50% load, this means your generator will run for a total of 8 hours on a full tank, which is usually long enough for the restoration of power by utility services.
- Electric Key Start – This makes it easier to start. Just turn the key and it will run, much like a car. The generator includes the battery in the package. Pull starter is available in the event the battery is dead.
- Automatic Low Oil Shut-off – Prevents damage to the unit in the event the oil runs low.
- Multiple Outlets – Two 120V, 3-amp, 3-prong outlets, one 120/240V, 30-amp twist-lock, and one 12V, 10-amp utility outlet. Allows for powering various types of appliances.
What we like
- Cost – One of the best models available for under $400 US. Most generators of this type would run you in the $500 US range or more. As such, it acts as a good bargain.
- Reliable – You should be able to power a refrigerator or any similar device easily without trouble or any evidence of slowdown or difficulty. It goes without saying that having a reliable generator is essential in the event of power failure.
- Electric Start – Available on the XP4400E model, which is the only difference between it and the somewhat cheaper XP4400 model. Makes it easy, particularly as the pull start is at an awkward angle. Worth the added expense.
- Quiet – This benefit must be qualified as all generators are noisy. However, it does not run nearly as loud as other generators on the market. This is because it uses a muffler designed for larger vehicles (such as cars) as opposed to a smaller muffler more commonly found on lawnmowers. Makes it a good choice for running the fans at night.
- EPA-Approved – Does not put out as much exhaust as other units. As a result, if you are concerned about the environment this unit is an excellent purchase.
What we don’t like
- Non-CARB Compliant – California residents will be unable to purchase this model.
- Load – While it advertises 3500 Watts continuous, we find it starts to struggle as it approaches the 3000 Watt mark. Recommend running at no more than 2500 Watts continuously. Can handle 3000 – 3300 in short bursts.
- Oil Drip Problem – While this is only a problem that seems to occur in transit, it still represents a problem to be fixed before starting the generator.
Overall, the Duromax XP4400E represents one of the top generators available. It demonstrates a lot of the traits we look for in a high-quality generator. In spite of the issues with the load not quite meeting up to advertised specs, we find this is common in small generators such as these. As such, we do not hold this shortcoming against it.
On the plus side, the demonstrated reliability of the generator and low cost makes it a fantastic value for any home-owner.
The best value for moneyIt is the best portable generator with the price tag of under $500. What you get for this price is a reliable piece of equipment, serving well its purposes. Duromax XP4400E has its minor drawbacks but these don’t change the overall highly positive image of this product. We particularly like how quiet it is comparing to some of its competitors. We could only wish this generator was CARB-compliant.
5. A Very Quiet Inverter Generator – Generac 6866 IQ2000
The Generac 6866 iQ2000 Ultra-Quiet Portable Inverter Gas Generator is a very quiet and portable model, characterised by top notch sturdy design. It represents a convenient choice for those who particularly need a easy to carry on quiet model useful for such purposes as camping, RV, small outdoor event etc.
The convenience factor is very high but that leaves another question. Does the Generac 6866 produce enough power to fit your needs? Posted below is our review of the Generac 6866’s features, as well as what we consider to be some of this model’s pros and cons. Hopefully this will help you decide if the Generac 6866 is the right portable generator for you.
Features of the Generac 6866 iQ2000 Portable Inverter Gas Generator
- Generac OHV Engine -comes in three settings, Regular, Turbo, and Economical to conserve power. Manually alters the engine speed based on power needs. This is the key to the models reduced noise output.
- Unique Alternator – uses a built in digital inverter to convert output from DC to AC.
- Parallel Capability – this compact model has the potential to double power output by combining generators, giving it a lot of kick for such a small device.
- Long Lasting – internally monitored to conserve fuel. At a quarter tank this generator still has enough juice for seven hours.
- Smart LED Dashboard – this centralized display lights up to show fuel level, battery life, and wattage use. It also updates you on the status of the generator.
- PowerDial – the controls for start, run, and stop are all integrated into a simple dial which can be cranked to the setting you want.
What we like
- Quiet and Clean – the Generac 6866 delivers what the title promises. It is ultra-quiet and ultra-clean, running with high efficiency and minimal noise, just a low buzzing.
- Easy to Use – the interface is simple and straight forward, most of the vital settings as well as the fuel level read out being easily visible on the dashboard. In addition the engine compartment and fuel cap can both be easily opened. This makes refueling or repairing the generator quick, easy, and relatively clean. It’s also easy to start, usually requiring only one firm yank to get the engine purring.
- High Tech – the Generac’s digital interface automatically adjusts output to fit whatever device is plugged in. This helps the generator last longer by cutting down on power waste. It can also be hooked up to power a wide array of modern devices, which many older model generators cannot.
- Portable – this model is made from light weight material so it’s easy to pick up and cart around. In addition, it’s smooth, compact design is economical and can fit about anywhere, so it’s easy to store. Also, being bright orange makes it a lot harder to lose.
What we don’t like
- The output is fairly strong on this device and it can be used to power large devices, like refrigerators and air conditioners. However it cannot handle multiple heavy devices at one time. Either stick to small items or use it on big things one at a time.
The Generac 6866 iQ2000 Ultra-Quiet Portable Inverter Gas Generator is an efficient, reliable model. It is pretty high tech, one of the most advanced portable generators on the market today. The Generac 6866 is quiet, easy to use, lasts for a long time and can handle most modern electronics if used in moderation. The display is large, centrally located, and so clearly labeled it can be read from a distance. This portable generator is perfect for you if you’re someone on the move, who’s going to value mobility and convenience over raw power output. It’s great for outdoor events and tail-gate parties but it can also work as home back-up. This is because it’s easy to store and can be pulled out for personal use or in case of emergencies.
6. A Powerful Choice- DuroMax XP10000E 10,000 Watt
The Duromax XP10000E portable generator is a powerful device that you can use on campsites, in your home or on the road. An RV is easy to use when you have a such powerful generator onboard, and this product from Duromax gives you the power you need for every application. It will be especially useful for powering multiple household devices, a restaurant or a small construction site.
Duromax XP10000E works fine in a variety of settings including camping, small to medium size outdoor events and musical rehearsals. It also acts as a powerful power supply in emergency situations such as the unexpected power outages. Therefore it can also be effectively used in ordinary home setting.
Features of the DuroMax XP10000E Portable Generator
- Duromax XP10000E comes equipped with a fuel tank that measures at almost nine gallons. The generator surges at 10,000 volts, making it suitable for large scale use. You may maintain the power on the generator at 8000 volts for a long period of time.
- Duromax created a low oil shutoff switch that will prevent the generator from running after it has lost too much oil. Of course, you still need to maintain the generator in the best way you know how, but the generator will stop itself from running with no oil in the tank.
- You can choose between the electric and manual starter. You can easily use the manual starter when the electric starter is not working. Otherwise, the electric starter will get the generator going in just a moment.
- The 16 horsepower engine will run for 10 hours on a full tank. It is worthy noting that it will run at its maximum power capacity for the whole duration of its fuel supply.
- The steel frame on the Duromax XP10000E is going to protect the generator from damage, and there is a cover that prevents the generator from being damaged by rain or wind. Debris will also not make its way into the generator. You can easily clean the generator with a damp cloth should it get dirty.
What we like
- The Duromax XP10000E is a durable piece of equipment that will help you power your equipment, your home or your RV. The XP10000E is strong enough to run your whole home in the midst of a storm, but at the same time the generator is small enough to stay out of the way.
- The large fuel tank is going to keep the generator going for most of your waking hours, and you may refill the tank at any time to keep it going. Users of the Duromax 10000E will find it relatively easy to pull along on a trip. We also admire the fact that it is easy to clean in case it has been through some bad weather.
- We like the way the Duromax XP10000E provides power to large groups of people for long periods of time, and the massive surge in voltage on the generator makes it one of the most agreeable generators on the market today. You can hook this generator up to your home’s power lines, or you can switch it on when you get to your campsite in the evening.
What we don’t like
- It is worth mentioning that Duromax XP10000E is a bulky unit that may not fit in certain RVs, and you may have a hard time fitting it into your basement where your power supply enters the house. Generators of this size can become cumbersome, but honestly this is the only real issue you will discover with this unit.
- Cost – such powerful unit naturally comes at its own high price tag.
The Duromax XP10000E is a sturdy unit that will provide you with the power you need to work outdoor events, live comfortably on a campsite and keep the house operating when you have lost power. Filling this generator is simple, and it shuts down at the first hint of trouble. Maintenance is easy too and you can keep it with you for many years in the future.
A family that values safety and security should have a generator at home that can be taken with them at any time. The Duromax XP10000E will travel with the family or sit in the corner of the basement until it needs to be called into emergency use for the family.
The best choice for those who need more powerWith its large fuel tank, high voltage and solid design, Duromax XP10000E is likely to be the best portable generator in the 5000 – 10000 watt range. It is ideal for those who need a generator to support the medium scale outdoor events. On top of that it performs very well in a variety of other settings, including the home use.
7. A Powerful Gas Powered Generator – Champion Power Equipment 41135 6800-watt 338CC
They say experience is the best teacher. You learn a lot about something after you have seen or used it rather than simply hearing about it. Similarly, generators are many but our experience with Champion Power Equipment 41135 generator was really good. Right from its color, design, features and functionality, this generator does its job very well. It is suitable for a variety of applications including those that consume slightly larger amount of energy. We will show you what makes this generator stand out in the following review.
Features of the Champion Power Equipment 41135 6800-watt Portable Generator
- 6800 Watt Power Range -This very powerful generator is 5,500W rated and is capable of producing maximum power of up to 6,800 watts output. This simply tells you it is able to power plenty of home electrical appliances as long as you don’t decide to plug in some larger power consuming devices.
- Many outlets– It includes 2- 120V duplex outlets (5-20R) 1,120/240 Volts twistlock (L14-30R) outlet which allows you to connect it to various appliances at ago. It gives you the freedom to choose which outlet to choose. In addition, in case one fails; you can always use other outlets.
- Large engine capacity – This excellent generator is powered by an overwhelming 338cc OHV engine with cast iron sleeve. This allows you to fuel its tank with much fuel for long and extended use. It can run for more than one day upon a single fueling session depending on the load size connected.
- Long running time – On full tank gas at 50% load, this generator can run for up to 11 hours. You are therefore assured that during this entire duration, there will be no power disruption because the generator will still be running smoothly.In addition, it includes oil engine for lubrication purposes to enhance its longevity.
- Excellent dimensions – It measures 31.3’’ by 20.9’’by 22’’ hence can fit in relatively lesser space. This allows you to keep it in your house because it is not too big for house storage.
- CARB compliant – This outstanding generator is compliant with the requirements of California Air Resources Board (CARB) which advocates for environmentally friendly generators. You are therefore sure that you are buying a generator with minimal environmental pollution.
- Recoil start – Its recoil start is easy to pull in order to start up the generator. It requires very little effort to do it, making it easy for everyone to use.
What we like
- Produces massive power – we developed a special liking for this extraordinary generator because of the immense power it produces of up to 6800W. This is enough to power most of the basic home appliances even if they are connected in a bit larger number.
- Large engine capacity – we like this generator because it can accommodate much fuel. Once you fill it to capacity, you can proceed with your errands without much worry.
- Reliable – ever since it got its way into the market, there have not been any complaints from customers about a possible break down or defect. If you buy it, you are sure that you have a reliable product.
- Easy to start – the fact that you only need to pull the recoil start and your generator begins to run makes it worth being liked. You don’t have to be taught how to pull it. In other words, it is user friendly hence the best fit for you.
- Easy to maintain – this really makes us like the generator because the oil engine it comes with is easy to apply and helps to lubricate it for longevity.
- CARB compliant – if you are environmentally conscious, you will definitely like this generator because it produces less exhaust fumes. In addition, you can use it in states like California which strictly adhere to such environmental policies.
What we don’t like
- Its large engine capacity implies that it consumes much fuel hence making it rather costly to maintain.
- It is powered by gas which may be pose a danger in (a fortunately rather rare) case of gas leakage.
- Could be a bit quieter
To sum up, Champion power equipment 41135 generator is a product of its kind. It has all that takes to qualify is as a high quality generator. No wonder it is usually well rated in most reviews. It is for those who are willing to spend a bit more so as to get much more in use value. Those who have bought it usually have good stories about this remarkable generator. You could be the next such person if you decide to get it today.
8. An Affordable Option- DuroStar DS4000S 4,000 Watt
If you are looking for a power solution for your home appliances, campsite lighting, and even for powering your workplace, then the DUROSTAR DS4000S gas powered generator is one of the best choices. It is certainly one of the most reliable portable generators with excellent power output to deliver the desired results efficiently. For any generator to be ETA approved for use in more than fifty states, means that this electrical equipment is fit for use.
It can dissipate up to 3,300 watts able to power up most of your household equipment or even power up tools at your workplace. Further research on this type of generator reveals how ideal it is for regions with frequent power outages, hunting cabins and also camping trips. To be able to review this DUROSTAR DS4000S, 4000 Watt 7.0 HP gas powered generator, it is important first to look at its features in details.
Features of the DuroStar DS4000S Portable Generator
- It meets all the requirements of the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), thus approved for distribution in over 50 states
- It is a 3,300 continuous watt generator with 4,500W surge output capacity. It is thus suitable for maximum power output for sustaining major appliances. Such an attribute makes it an ideal backup home solution, camping and sporting among others.
- It has a smooth running engine that is quiet in its operation mode. It produces a 69dBA noise rating that is suitable for areas requiring low noise pollution.
- For high power tools and equipment, the DUROSTAR DS4000S, 4000 Watt 7.0 HP gas powered generator is suitable because it has one 120 Volt, 30amp outlet.
- It fully supports home appliances by outputting 120 Volt, 20amp through its two 3-pronged outlets.
- It is easy to use with a power control panel that includes a start switch, circuit breaker, and a volt control meter. At half load single tank, you can use the generator for eight hours without worrying about the cut-off.
- It has an overhead valve 7HP engine, which is air cooled hence does not develop an overheating problem during operation.
- The generator has an auto-shutoff mechanism when the oil level runs low. This feature comes in handy for those who forget to conduct frequent maintenance and oil checking.
What we like
- First, this power generator is easy to use without any complicated set-up procedures. Its oil consumption rate is very minimal, and you won’t need to worry so much about constant replacements.
- When you purchase any electronic device, it is always a good idea to check whether or not it possesses any warranty. For this model, you will be able to receive a one year warranty on parts and maintenance. It is a good thing since you are never sure if you will need any support along the way.
- This generator is quiet hence well suited to work in areas demanding low noise levels. The muffler on its body compartment reduces most of the noise compared to its gas powered 3,300-watt counterparts. If your neighborhood comprises of those individuals who hate excessive noise, then you will not brush any shoulders with people.
What we don’t like
- As far as there are more than enough reasons as to why the DUROSTAR DS4000S, 4000 Watt 7.0 HP gas powered generator is must-have power equipment, there are a few issues with it. The only issues you may find dissatisfactory would be the lack of an optional wheel kit and the fact that it is non-CARB compliant. Therefore California residents will not be able to purchase this model without facing possible legal consequences.
The bottom line is that this is one of the best portable generators on the market, offered for a highly affordable price. It discharges power that can run most home appliances and also act as a perfect backup plan in power outage situations. It can operate on a single tank of gas while supporting many devices for a long time. DUROSTAR has once again proved to be a reliable manufacturer when it comes to providing quality power generators.
The best budget optionIf money is your concern and still you don’t want to compromise too much on the quality, then you should go for Durostar DS4000S. It has all the features required to compete for the title of the best portable generator. While not as reliable as powerful as Westinghouse WGen7500, this generator comes available at much lower price, offering good value for money.
9. A Highly Efficient Dual Fuel (Propane/Gas) Generator – Duromax XP4850EH
Fuel is a key concern when it comes to talking about machinery. The cost and availability of fuel are the major parameters to watch. To end this dilemma for many of us, we are introducing DUROMAX XP4850EH generator, a hybrid king that allows you to use both propane and gas. This dual feature gives you the ability not to just choose but also to extend the service of the generator just in case one fuel runs out.
This generator is the perfect choice for campers and outdoor activities. It is still convenient enough for small house holders whose power requirements are not extremely high. Its environmental friendliness is a key indicator of its high efficiency. This led to its certification for use even in national and game parks.
Its hardy structure and nature ensures usage for a long period without requiring heavy maintenance. This will save you a good deal of money in the long run. We recommend this generator dues to its agility and strength, unique design and high ergonomics and safety considerations.
If you are looking for generator that will give you optimum variety and efficiency then you are stuck with DUROMAX XP4850EH generator.
Features of the DuroMax XP4850EH Portable Generator
- This hardy generator comes with a 210cc 7 hp four stroke air cooled engine. These is an amazing engine just made for you. This is a high amount of power to execute virtually all household and outdoor camping activities such as lighting.
- This generator also comes with an electric starter giving you convenience over the manual starters. This is particularly helpful for outdoor activities
- It also comes in with handy casing made of high strength tubes for structural reinforcing as well as protection from external forces of the environment.
- The generator has other features you will like for example a silencer to reduce the noise levels, a voltmeter to give you a visual of the output. It also has a power output panel with various ports for various sockets and outputs
What we like
- Bi fuel capability – the ability to use both propane and gas is a feature we like the most about this generator. It gives you options on what fuel to use and also mix the two depending on the situation. This is highly convenient regardless of the situation.
- Fuel efficiency and economy – we like one cool feature of this generator that it conserves and uses little fuel and will give you value for your money in terms of fuel conversion. It can run non-stop without much variation in the output.
- Power output – we take particular liking for the high power created by Duromax generator. The 7HP is high enough to run most activities.
- Power output and control panel – what is more likeable than a machine that gives you an interface. We chose a power panel that gives you a variety of ports to tap power from directly from the machine. You will find this feature really handy when you go out for camping and you didn’t carry extension cables.
- Long running hours – this generator can run up to 28 hours, 20 hours on propane and 8 on gas at 50% load. This is an incredibly huge amount of time giving you elasticity of programs and confidence in the generator.
What we don’t like
- On heavy loading the machine just turns really noisy and has to be kept away from settlement. This might cost you on cables. Noise is particularly irritating and we found it a bit hard to tolerate the levels at full loading.
- The dual fuel systems have the disadvantage of being costly compared to other generators of the same power output. This initial cost may be discouraging at the comparison with other generators.
The DUROMAX XP4850EH generator is a great piece of machinery that every home user should want to have. It is highly flexible giving you a long time of service and little maintenance required. The bi fuel nature is the best advantage of these times giving power to choose between the fuel you find cheaper or more available. You will surely like the DUROMAX XP4850EH generator.
10. A Reliable Option – Generac 5982 GP3250 3,250 Watt Gas Powered Portable Generator
You should not continue to register losses in your business simply because of power black outs. It is very bitter to make losses especially when there is a perfect solution. It may appear quite involving to buy a new generator but when you compare its benefits in the long run, you will begin to ask yourself why it took you so long to acquire this machine. Depending on your specific requirements, Generac 5982 might be the right solution for you. Let’s have a closer look at this machine.
Features of the Generac 5982 GP3250 3,250 Watt Gas Powered Portable Generator
- Splash lubricated OHV engine – This ensures that your generator engine components are continuously lubricated to prevent tear and wear. The resultant effect is a long lasting device. This makes it the best fit for you if you value durable products.
- Low oil level shutdown – This outstanding feature automatically shuts down generator when oil level is low in order to safeguard your generator’s engine from damage. This feature comes especially handy if you are not particularly keen on the idea of constantly monitoring the oil level, saving you from a lot of hassle.
- Large capacity fuel tank – This generator comes with a large capacity steel fuel tank with incorporated fuel gauge which provides durability and extended run times. It allows you to fill the tank with large amount of fuel that can run you for almost the entire day depending on the load connected. In addition, the fuel gauge will help you to determine the level of fuel left in the generator so that you can decide whether to top up or not depending on its level. This makes it a darling to many people.
- Circuit breaker – This important feature enables the generator to cut off the flow of current in case of too much power to prevent your appliances and equipment from overheating. It therefore eliminates any worries that the Integrated Circuit of your electronics will overheat. It is therefore safe. In addition, its outlets are protected so that you do not suffer an electric shock in case you get in contact with them.
- Hardened steel tube cradle – This makes this generator more durable and strong. It is therefore less prone to physical damage and can easier sustain harder environments such as busy construction sites etc.
What we like
- Long lasting engine – if a durable engine is your priority, then this is the right generator for you. It is designed in such a way that it is splash lubricated. This ensures that all its movable parts are kept in the right condition without being subjected to any form of damage and thus durable.
- Automatically shuts down – we really like this generator because of its unique ability to shut down itself when the oil level is low. This is important because it prevents any form of damage from being inflicted on your generator due to reduced oil level. In other words, the generator protects itself from damage. Needless to say how beneficial this feature is both for the generator and the owner, since you don’t need to worry that much about oil levels and other relevant maintenance issues.
- Safe to use – with the presence of a circuit breaker, safety of your appliances is guaranteed. It simply stops the flow of current to ensure that both you and your electrical equipments are safe.
- Easy to monitor fuel level – unlike some other generators, Generac 5982 GP3250 has a fuel gauge which helps you to know how much fuel is left in the tank.
- Large sized tank – we really liked this feature because it makes it possible to fuel the generator with much fuel to last for a long period of time This saves you from the hassle of refuelling each and every time.
- Strong – who does not like a strong product? The steel tube construction guarantees that the generator will perform well even in harsher conditions and reduces the chance of damage when transporting the generator from one place to another.
What we don’t like
- While providing the necessary durability and strength, the presence of a steel tube construction makes the generator really heavy hence difficult to carry especially by one person.
- Due to the stricter environmental regulations applied in the state of California, the generator is unfortunately not for sale there.
- – We wish that this generator could have slightly more wattage. While 3250 watts is enough to power a few smaller electrical devices, 4000 or 4500 watts would clearly give more comfort.
To finalize, any time you get out your cash in exchange for any product, it is always important to ask yourself if the product you are buying is worth the value of your money. Consider looking at it as a major investment. This means that it should add value to your life and enable you to make more money by using it especially in your business setting. This is why Generac 5982 GP32 generator is worthy consideration. Although it is not ideal for everyone because of its relatively low wattage, it should definitely perform well enough in a home or RV setting. Especially since its price tag is also quite attractive, making it one of the most affordable generators currently available on the market.
7 Top Reasons to Buy a Portable Generator
I believe everyone is quite familiar with the importance of generators, both portable and standby, and of where one makes use of them be it for personal home use or their businesses places. Over the last recent years, mobile generators have somehow come into demand with people purchasing, but still, there are some who do not see the need or reason to be in possession of one. Therefore, in this section we will make things easier for these selected people by highlighting on 7 top reasons as to why one needs to buy a portable generator, and they are as discussed below.
1. Easy to move from one place to another
People should perhaps regard this factor as the first and the most important reason as to why one should own a portable generator. Unlike the old-fashioned standby generators, portable generators can easily be moved from one place to the other without much effort. This statement simply means they can be stored in a safe place and retrieved in time of need. For instance, if there happens to be a power failure at friends place or your place of business in which the two selected areas do not have standby generators, then it is quite easy for you to load the portable generator into your car, easily drive or take it to the place in need of power supply in an easy manner. Moving of standby generators can be quite exhausting and time-consuming.
2. Emergency supply for homes and businesses
Portable generators are also significant when it comes to being the back up for homes and businesses places in time of electricity failures. Businesses and offices that rely on the use of computers, internet, and other electronic apparatus are ones that can highly benefit from having these portable generators. Butchery, homes, grocery shops are examples of places that can benefit from having a portable generator as a backup power source due to the refrigerators that these places have and are vital in keeping foodstuffs fresh. Health care providers such as dispensaries, hospitals, and clinics can also benefit from these generators as they might have life-saving machines and drug freezers that need to be running 24/7 whether there are power failures or not.
3. Emergency power supply for homes that are located in places with severe climate
Anyone living in places that experience harsh and severe climates is strongly advised to own a portable generator. These areas that experience cold winters or hurricanes devastations tend to experience blackouts and power failure most of the times that Mother Nature decides to flex her powers. Excellent examples are the Hurricane Harvey, Hurricane Matthew, and Tropical Storm Cindy, that left a wide range of devastation in their wake. As it is known with hurricanes, electric lines and power stations were destroyed leaving most of the Southern Eastern part of the United States in darkness. In such situations, one can easily grasp the importance of owning a portable generator as it would come in handy in ensuring households are not thrown into darkness.
4. Source of electric power for construction sites
When it comes to construction sites, electric wiring and connections are not allowed to be laid before the building is complete. The reason as to why this done is to avoid accidents brought about electric charges; it is beneficial to use portable generators at these construction sites. As earlier mentioned, they are easy to move from one place to the other thus they can be carried or pushed to a place where more power tools and apparatus are to be used. In some construction sites, you might find that the building or the site is many floors high meaning if at all there is a need of electricity, a portable generator can easily be transported or taken to the place that is needed without much problem.
5. Excellent energy supply for camping trips
In the old days, going for camping trips meant that people would have to spend time in darkness maybe spend time around a warm campfire and that’s that. The tents would either be dark or lighted by lanterns using batteries. Nowadays things are however much easier as we now have portable generators that people can take with them on the camping trips. The ready availability of electricity courtesy of these portable generators means that people can far carry portable cookers to use at their trips meaning things will be much more easier. A well-lighted campsite is also an added advantage in keeping away forest animals and predators. Last but not least, people will be able to find their way easily in the night times thus accident rates will be low.
6. Sophisticated in technology yet still very simple
With the portable generators, one is guaranteed that he or she will be getting value for their money. These machines are quietly sophisticated, and they run for a long time offering the amount of service that is expected of them. They have been manufactured to automatically detect the amount of apparatus that they are serving thus can proportionally adjust themselves to meet the standards and needs of the load meaning the fuel that they are using is efficiently maximized. As aforementioned, this equates merely to an extensive operation time meaning power and frequencies for the apparatuses are well maintained. In most cases, these generators are equipped with warranties from manufacturers thus one can easily take them for repair upon damage or malfunction.
7. Great for remote holiday homes
As it is same with camping sites, portable generators are also quite useful when it comes to holiday homes that are entirely remotely located. Lake houses, mountain cottages, and beach houses are sometimes located in an area that electricity lines and supply has not yet reached. This means that these houses might be dark at nights which are not fun especially when it is on holiday. With a portable generator, these homes can easily be lighted up and made beautifully and thus their occupants get to have the fun that had taken them to the place. The generators are easy to carry and transport therefore going and returning with them from the holiday homes is not big of a challenge. They are also convenient to use when visiting rural homes up the country.